Lists, Lists, and More Lists

I love lists. There is something about seeing tidy rows of tasks that makes my world seem a little more orderly, and that makes me happy. What makes me even happier is to see those tasks with a line through them that indicates progress. And progress, like change, is good. 

A few years ago, I had to start making lists of books I want to read, and books I have finished reading, because I do a fairly significant amount of reading. If you don't, and you fear this post is all about how you should, put your fears aside and keep reading. I'm not into telling people to do things they really don't like. Unless it's telling them to stop doing totally wrong things. In that case, stop it. But as far as how many books you get through in a year, don't sweat it. 

I read for ministry, I read for pleasure, I read to study the word of God, I read to grow in my faith, I read to hone my various crafts and I read because I like to learn things. I read in a lot of different genres, so I started creating a To Be Read (or TBR for short) list with a few categories like Ministry, Me, and Craft, to help keep track of what I want to read. The only one that has any timeline for finishing a book is the ministry category, because those are books that may or may not go into Calvary Books or on the Three Ladies of Lit book review website.  The other lists are just for order, not for ordering me around. Sometimes, if I'm honest, I need a little ordering around, so that's why I give my list a pithy tagline: 

Practice Purposeful, Profitable Reading. 

I'm about to finish up our women's Bible study at church, so I'm starting to think about my summer TBR list, and this year I know what it is going to start with. Elizabeth George has published a new book titled Proverbs for a Woman's Day, and I can't wait to start it. Our Calvary Vista women's retreat theme was from Proverbs 14:1 and re-inspired me to something Elizabeth George recommends-reading the chapter of Proverbs that corresponds to the day's date. Her new book is some of what she has learned from nearly 40 years of practicing a daily reading of Proverbs. Who doesn't want wisdom? I sure do. 

In two weeks I'll crack this open, pen in hand and my goal is to read it in 31 days. After that, I'll have to consult my "Me" list and see what's next. Our retreat resource list is full of stuff I want to revisit, maybe you would like to visit it for a little inspiration for your summer reading. If your list is short or long, enjoy some time with book in hand this summer and as always- 

Read well, friends! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Another Hectic Holiday Post

On Eating and Sleeping

Still Tasty