Day 15-Halfway There

The month is just about half over, and so is my 31 day challenge to finding enjoyment.  I don’t know where this comes from, but one of my friends has the same tendency I have when we hear a word or phrase-we burst into a song that contains that word or phrase in the lyrics.  Too much Name That Tune when we were children perhaps.  If you were 13 to 30 in the late 80’s or if you’re my daughter, you may know where I’m going with this….

Whoooah, we’re half way there..
Whoa! Livin’ on a prayer
Take my hand and we’ll make it I swear
Whoa! Livin’ on a prayer….

Ah, Bon Jovi.  How big was your hair in the 80’s?  While you won’t find this song on any Christian album that I know of, it the chorus does capture that hope-filled anthem of believers-we’re almost there.

Where? Why, Heaven of course.  I love how God weaves something He wants me to think about through different channels in my life to help me hear Him.  In the last weeks there has been a lot of reminiscing about the Jesus Movement of the 70’s, when so many young people came to Christ and the word of the day was Maranatha-Aramaic for  “O Lord, Come!” 

Yesterday in church we studied Mark 13-the signs of His return.  The last few days, if you read the One Year Bible, you've read 1 and 2 Thessalonians.  This covers the signs of His coming, who will be here for it and who won’t.  If all this is new to you, click here and get a great overview to help you understand why this matters to you, and really, everyone you know. 

I won’t go out on a limb and say we’re literally halfway there.  We are definitely closer than we were yesterday.  Everybody is on their way somewhere.  For those of us who have put ourselves on Jesus’ path, we know that halfway there or not, we’re going to Heaven. 

Obviously for me, this is a truth God wants me to contemplate, be encouraged by, stirred up by and also to just enjoy.  I can enjoy and have joy because I know that however great and enjoyable right here can be, it is nothing compared to what awaits me in Heaven. To who awaits me in Heaven.  

Not everybody thinks about the final destination with confidence and joy.  Not everybody enjoys thinking about the reality of this life ending.  Some people spend their whole life running from that reality.  But there is peace, and there is assurance and you can find out how to have both here.

Since I know you need to get that Bon Jovi song out of your head and be reminded of where we're headed, listen to this:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Another Hectic Holiday Post

Still Tasty

On Eating and Sleeping