Steps Toward Stupid

This morning I read a post on another blog with this title, "Steps Toward Stupid." The guy was writing about the small things he is prone to do that sometimes produce spiritual train wrecks in his life. For him, it's listening to a certain type of music that he was into during a debauched time of his life. From listening a little to listening a lot, to withdrawing from friends, to blowing off church, to skipping devotions.....pretty soon he's wondering what happened. It all happens slowly, it's not like he listens to Stairway to Heaven and becomes a warlock the next day, but in almost imperceptible ways he is drifting from a close relationship with his Savior.

Of course, this made me wonder about my own "steps toward stupid". What are those things that dull my sensitivity to the Spirit, or choices of activities that seem like no big deal but end up totally not being pleasing to God?

I'm not telling. Okay, maybe I'll tell you later. The real reason I won't tell you today is
1) I really want to contemplate the consequences of some of my choices, not just blow off this question with an easy answer, and
2) if my step toward stupid isn't your step toward stupid, you may blow off asking yourself the question. It's easy to think "I'm not as much a heathen as her, I NEVER (fill in the blank).

Newsflash-you have a step toward stupid. Everybody does. This is a question worth asking ourselves if we want a life that pleases God and I assume that you want that. I do. Ask yourself what your step toward stupid is, and then pray for God to reveal the step toward smart He desires you to take. Most of the time, we know what we're suppose to be doing, but we like the path of stupid. It's natural and easy, but although the path He has for us may be one of abundant life, it's not as effortless as we might like. It's God who works in us both to will and to do His good pleasure (see Philippians 2) so it's not like is all on you and me to make it happen. But it is on us to decide which steps we'll take. Choose Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Another Hectic Holiday Post

Still Tasty

On Eating and Sleeping