Habits

No, not nun dresses. It has been widely reported that it takes thirty day to make or break a habit. I was annoyed lately to discover that it usually take me thirty weeks, while it seems to take my husband thirty seconds.

We both take vitamin stuff, and he recently had to change the order in which he takes said vitamins. The day after he realized this change was necessary, he never reached for the other bottle first again. If you wonder why I would notice such a thing, in fact, keep track of such a thing, well, that's a post for another day.

We moved into a different house just about a year ago. I seem to have to move a lot, so one would think I was used to adapting to new surroundings. Not so. Every day, for nearly a year, I have banged my hand on a door jam at least once reaching for a light switch that is not there. It's on the other side of the doorway in this house.

I want to blame age but my husband is older than I am so it can't be that. I like to think I have a lot of important things on my mind and can't remember trivial things but my husband's a pastor and has way more important things on his mind. In reality, my brain is a sieve and a fair amount of information seems to drain out and my husband apparently has a mind like a steel trap. Sigh.

Those habits matter very little in the scope of eternity. Instead of moving the light switch I've decided to file this under the "Nobody Cares" category in my head. That is an increasingly large category where things, in the vast scope of time that I will be in Heaven with Jesus, nobody in their right mind would care about. You know, the stuff that we get all in a knot about, that next week you'd be hard pressed to even remember, let alone still be in a knot over. Nobody cares. Nobody should care, at least not enough that you find yourself ranting. This "NC" category is not a despondent, woe-is-me kind of nobody cares, but rather a dismissive, get-away-you-trivial-thing type of nobody cares. It ain't worth it.

There are habits I do want to care about that will prove profitable there, since they will be the things that make me more like Him while I'm here. Like these:

Put on the armor of light-Romans 13:12

Put on the Lord Jesus Christ and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts-Romans 13:14

Put off, concerning your former conduct....and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness-Ephesians 4:22-24

Put on the whole armor of God-Ephesians 6:11

But above all these things, put on love, which is the bond of perfection-Colossians 3:14.

That's worth caring about. That's worth the effort. That's what matters in the scope of eternity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Another Hectic Holiday Post

On Eating and Sleeping

Still Tasty