Feeling Spiritual

The most significant information I received in the last week was this wonderful truth- Sunday, March 9.....DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME BEGINS!

Every year I experience what is whispered about in my house as the "Fall Funk". No, it is not a season of the year where we have a Soul Train retrospective, it is the descent of doom that arrives as we "fall back". Most years it only lasts a month or so, the year my daughter went off to college it lasted three months but this year-well, there are no good words to describe this year.

I've tried every remedy I've ever heard of and made up a few, but the real truth is that since last October, I have been in a dry toast, beige clothes, elevator muzak state. Desert time is a weak description. My husband, the wise, all-knowing Dave, informs me that the reasons for this are more than the usual fall funk, and after some consideration, I would agree. What those reasons are doesn't matter today in light of the fact that NEXT WEEK IS DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME!

Why does this delight me so? Because I haven't been feeling very spiritual. Hence the dog pictures. Oh, don't get alarmed, this is me-repeat it with me now: It's not about the way you feel, it's just the facts, ma'am. But when you tasted the sweetness of communion with the Father, when you've lived in the daily awareness that the ministry you do is by the presence and power of the Holy Spirit, that when that funk comes it is like starving. The song "I'm Desperate For You" takes on a whole new meaning and you would pay good money just to feel.

Maybe you've never had a funk, you can't relate and you're sure my problem is sin. Not this time. Maybe you have one now, or you've never really lived without a funk. The fact of the matter is that most great men of God in the Bible spent some time in a funk, for a variety of reasons and you know what? Every funk has its end. That's right, one day, you wake up and the sense that God has said "That's enough" is a reality. For the Christian there is this guarantee-There is no room for funks in Heaven. So it may not be till then, but no funk lasts forever.

This particular one ended for me when I opened my church bulletin and saw next week was DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME! I can't tell you why, but I felt the weight come off my chest where it had sat crushing me for months. The promise of being able to stay awake past 6:00 p.m., long days without overcast skies, finally, finally my house might actually get warm again, and this years funk was gone. Go figure.

By the way-despite how I have felt since last October, the fact is God has been as He always is. Holy, Just, Faithful, Sovereign, Forgiving, Merciful, God-Who-Sees, God-Who-Provides, Fortress, Strong Tower, Everlasting, Father, and so much more. I have never doubted that. I have never forgotten that. I may not have always felt that, but that doesn't change the facts....

2 Corinthians 4:16-18
Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

And that's a fact.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Another Hectic Holiday Post

Still Tasty

On Eating and Sleeping